[Simh] Making Ethernet DEC DELUA available to RSX11M+

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sun May 31 12:46:31 EDT 2020

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 9:33 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Mark...
>
> On 2020-05-31 18:26, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 8:37 AM, Phil J Fisher wrote:
> >> All
> >> Following Mark P's feedback and comments, this is in many respects a
> >> re-submission of a previous poorly put together post.
> >>

> [...]
>

> > This output shows what your configuration file did to the simulator setup.
> > The important part for us to look at is the actual commands you used
> > to achieve this.  The configuration file you either explicitly (or
> > implicitly by using a pdp11.ini) invoked the simulator with is
> > required to provide visibility to how you got here!  PLEASE provide that.
>
> Agreed. It might help to see what the actual commands are.

Whatever he's doing in that configuration setup is causing the
subsequent behavior (or lack of behavior).  Without details I won't
venture a guess.

> >> Now I have deliberately not attached the XU device;  I just want to
> >> make sure it is picked up by RSX11M+.  I believe it should do so even
> >> if it then fails to do anything sensible.  I get identical results
> >> when attached to a network (for details of attach, see later).
> >>
> >> When booted (via RL0), RSX11M+ fires up as expected.  When I try to
> >> enable the network via NETINS.CMD, I see that it is not able to
> >> "install" the UNA-0 network device.
> >>
> >> NTL -- Config File -- Device UNA-0 Offline
> >>          CNT$DF  0,120,174510,5,,NX
> >> NTINIT -- Failed To Load Line UNA-0
>
> [...]
>
> Not attaching is not useful. How would RSX pick the ethernet if you don't have
> an ethernet?

If the device is properly enabled, it should be recognized by the OS
and networking can try to use it.  Not attaching it would merely be
equivalent to the Ethernet cable being unplugged rather than the
board not being present in the computer.

> > The configuration file I'm asking for above is "What did you do?".
> >
> > You also have not specified what type of traffic you expect to use the
> > XU device to transport.  DECnet, IP, LAT are possible candidates.
> > You haven't described whether you will only be reaching out to other
> > systems via the network interface or if you will also expect to have
> > incoming functionality.
> >
> > These questions are specifically asking for "What you want to do?".
> >
> > Please answer them and we can help more!
>
> As shown above, he is trying to start DECnet (that is what NTL and NTINIT is
> about). So that information did come, even if not stated explicitly. However,
> RSX is not seeing any ethernet controller. It tries to probe the CSR and nothing
> shows. That is the basic problem. (There might be others as well, I wouldn't
> know...)

That is clear to your expertise.  Thanks.  Once he gets a workable network
interface there are already other issues to comment about, and we'll then
ask if he's trying to talk DECnet, what other systems he may be trying to talk
to and how he expects to reach them.

- Mark