[Simh] Can't start VAX from SSH

Baker, Lawrence M baker at usgs.gov
Thu May 28 16:47:58 EDT 2020

I am working from home and can only SSH in to my desktop Mac at work.  Our unhelpful IT department automatically patches and reboots our system, which must have happened last night.  That terminated the SIMH VAX I left running.  Normally, I leave my desktop logged in.  Until today, I have had no trouble starting my SIMH VAX remotely.

Today, no one is logged in to my desktop.  When I SSH remotely and try to start my SIMH VAX, it fails immediately with the error message:
$ ./vax-20200419
_RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.
SDL Video subsystem can't initialize
Is there any way around this short of driving to work and logging in to my desktop?

Larry Baker

US Geological Survey

650-329-5608

baker at usgs.gov