[Simh] A lost 18b peripheral

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Mon May 25 15:05:15 EDT 2020

On 25-May-20 09:29, Bob Supnik wrote:
> Looking through the XVM/MUMPS15 listing, I saw that the timesharing
> terminals were attached via a DC01 communications multiplexer. There's
> no reference to such a device anywhere in the 18b literature on
> Bitsavers.
>
> Because the PDP15 is a contemporary of the PDP8/I and the KI10, I
> thought it might be a variant of their multiplexers, but I can't find
> a match.
>
> Another mystery.
>
> /Bob

Just for fun, I looked a bit further:

Here is the DC01-EB system exerciser test (diagnostic) in PDP-15 assembler:

https://ia800403.us.archive.org/28/items/bitsavers_decpdp15diSystemExerciser19DC01EB_2205397/19_DC01EB.pdf

It's rather entertaining reading.  Would not like to be in the room when
it runs (on 32 TTYs); it seems to mostly be good for finding crosstalk.
But there's a lot to be gleaned from the code about how the DC01 works.

Computerworld 17-Nov-1971 has a classified AD for a PDP-15 with DC01-EB,
MUMPS, and other old friends:

Enjoy.