[Simh] xterm and simh

Peter Allan petermallan at gmail.com
Sat May 16 10:34:25 EDT 2020

I am trying to configure xterm to work as closely as possible to a real VT
terminal when connected to a simulated microVAX 3900 on simh. I have this
mostly working, but one thing that is annoying me is the display of
characters in the xterm window when editing a file with EDIT/TPU.

When I edit a file with EDIT/EDT, the screen displays what I would expect
for EDT.

However, when I edit a file with EDIT/TPU, I get a lot of garage characters
on the screen and it is unusable while in the editor. Pressing cntl-Z exits
the editor and the screen is fine again.

I have found that if I type SET TERM/NOEIGHT before using EDIT/TPU, then it
works fine. The annoying thing is that if I type SET TERM/INQUIRE then it
sets the terminal to EIGHTBIT mode, and this happens when I log in.

I can easily change the login command procedure to set the terminal to
NOEIGHTBIT when I log in, but does anyone know how to configure xterm so
that is not an issue in the first place?

To reiterate, this is a problem with the display of characters on the
screen of the xterm window, not an issue with the mapping of keys.

Cheers

Peter Allan