[Simh] Releasing terspy.mar - vax/vms terminal spy program

Robert G. Schaffrath robert at schaffrath.net
Wed Mar 25 11:00:34 EDT 2020

Back in the late 1980's, my firm had a program called WATCH (binary is
WATCHMAN.EXE) that allowed both passive and interactive monitoring of a
terminal. In passive mode, you could see the activity on the specified
line without any interaction (WATCH/NOINPUT). In interactive mode, you
could interact with the session. It was a very useful tool for helping
remote users. Much like Windows software now that lets you (and
scammers) provide remote assistance to someone's computer.

I searched the binary for any strings indicating authorship and I cannot
find anything. The firm had other "interesting" VMS tools besides this
one including what I considered to be the best deleted file recovery
utility (RECOVER.EXE) but I never found out where they all came from.
One of our employees was the late John Wisnewski, who had started the
VMS Hobbyist Program, so it is possible they were something he obtained.
When I visited him at our office in Dallas back in the 80's, he gave me
a tape with all kinds of interesting "toys". Sadly I do not have that
tape any longer.