[Simh] Releasing terspy.mar - vax/vms terminal spy program

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 01:56:59 EDT 2020

I have a paper printout of a program called terspy.mar - which is a terminal spy program for vax/vms

it was written by Bob Vera, DEC, April 28, 1980
Don't know if anyone here knows him, or knew him, I never met him or knew him.
I've had this printout in my collection since shortly after the day it was written (or so).

I'd forgotten what a pain it is to scan in fan-fold DEC teletype printouts, the pages are too long to fit.

I've done a scan of it, but the bottom line or so of each page is always cut-off.
I'm thinking of editing the PDF (Acrobat) and putting in the lines that were missed manually.

from the comments in the program:

This tool is designed to kidnap characters out of a designated terminal's output buffer and record them in a disk file which is subsequently printed out on the printer when the session is finished.
by default, it creates a log file with the users' name with a .LOG extension.
also by default, when the session is done, it auto-prints the log file, then erases it when the print is completed.

It's a little over 7 pages long (original printout)

If this is a well-known util, I won't waste my time, but I've never seen it in any archives.
obviously you need appropriate privileges to use it on another user's terminal.
I don't see anything that specifies which privileges it needs,
but the comments say it's scanning the IRP's, which is what it says it uses to do its work.

Aside from doing scans a half-page at a time, if anyone has any suggestions on scanning it, I'd welcome some advice.

Dan.