[Simh] Ultrix 2.2 and 3.0

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:29:55 EDT 2020

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 13:11, Ray Jewhurst <raywjewhurst at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also tried the Microvax II and I got the same error.  I lo and behold
> read the documentation and saw that the 3900 was not supported so I tried
> the II right away.
>
> Ray
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 1:07 PM Henry Bent <henry.r.bent at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 08:47, Ray Jewhurst <raywjewhurst at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have the Ultrix 2.2 and 3.0 tapes both supported and unsupported from
>>> Bitsavers, but I don't know how to mount/boot them.  I was attempting to
>>> use the install script for Ultrix 4.0 from Gunkies.  Also, I am using the
>>> vax (3900) simulator.  When I mount the 2.2 tape as a TK50 this is the
>>> error I get:
>>> (BOOT/R5:0 MUA0
>>>
>>>   2..
>>> -MUA0
>>>   1..0..
>>>
>>> ?50 SCB2NDINT, MUA0
>>> HALT instruction, PC: 00000C1A (MOVL (R11),SP)
>>> sim>
>>>
>>> And here's my ini:
>>> set cpu 16m
>>> set tto 7b
>>> set tti 7b
>>> set cr dis
>>> set lpt dis
>>> set rl dis
>>> set rq0 ra81
>>> att rq0 ultrix.dsk
>>> set rq1 dis
>>> set rq2 dis
>>> set rq3 dis
>>> set ts dis
>>> set tq tk50
>>> att tq0 ultrix22.tap
>>> set tq1 dis
>>> set tq2 dis
>>> set tq3 dis
>>> ;set xq dis
>>> ;att xq 1
>>> att nvr ultrix.nvr
>>> ;dep bdr 0
>>> boot cpu
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>

>> Well, problem #1 is that you're trying to run those operating systems on
>> unsupported hardware.  I don't remember when 3900 support was added off the
>> top of my head but probably not until some version of 3.1 or 4.0.  I would
>> try with the Microvax II sim and see where that gets you.
>>
>> -Henry

Ultrix 2.2 doesn't boot from the distribution tape, it boots from a
standalone "boot" tape.  What you want is
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/DEC/vax/ultrix/2.0/AQ-JU00C-BE_ULTRIX-32_2.0_SA_87.tap.gz
which, despite its name and the directory it is placed in, is the TK50 boot
tape for Ultrix 2.2.  Boot from that.

I honestly don't remember how I installed 3.0 as the standalone boot tape
is missing.  If you can install and get comfortable with 2.2, and if you
can install the 2.3 patch successfully, let me know and I'll try and
remember how to get 3.0 up on SIMH.

You should read
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/vax/ultrix-32/3.0/AA-LY24A-TE_ULTRIX-32_BasicInst_Microvax3300_1988.pdf
; I do not recall the install process being significantly different between
2.x and 3.0.

-Henry