[Simh] Is it possible to simulate the first Vaxen I ever used?

Hunter Goatley goathunter at goatley.com
Mon Mar 23 13:12:36 EDT 2020

Pardon the reminiscing, but all of this talk about the 11/730 reminds me
of my first job after college. At WKU, we had a VAX 11/785. After
graduating, I went to work for Clyde Digital Systems. When I got there,
I was surprised at the several bookcases full of SF novels scattered
around the programmers' cubicles.

Turns out that Clyde had an 11/750 for business stuff and an 11/730 for
the developers. I was the sixth or seventh programmer hired. I quickly
learned that the 730 was seriously underpowered for that many
developers. The coders would kick off builds of their products, then
kick back and read a few chapters from one of the SF novels while
waiting for their build to complete. 8-) I started going in to the
office at 6 AM to have a couple of hours of the 730 to myself, and I
also made use of the 750 when no one was paying attention. (The 750
didn't have compilers, but most of my work was done in MACRO-32, so I
could do assembly on the 750. The privileged code had to be tested on
the 730, though, because I couldn't risk crashing the 750.)

The day we got our first VAXstation 2000, everybody was fighting over
it, because it blew the 730 away.

Fun times. Now. 8-)

Hunter