[Simh] Is it possible to simulate the first Vaxen I ever used?

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Mon Mar 23 09:33:55 EDT 2020

> Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
>Using a PDP-8 as an FEP on any VAX definitely sounds odd.

  The console front end for the 730 was an 8085 (just like the KS10, FWIW).

  The 730 was interesting in that ALL of the CPU microcode was in RAM and was loaded by the CFE at boot time.  It was possible to locally modify the 730 microcode, and DEC even had a set of microcode development tools for the 730.  I've never seen them except in references.

  This is relevant because for years I've heard a persistent rumor that the PDP-8/WPS-8 group at DEC had a 730 with microcode that had been hacked to include a PDP-8 compatibility mode, which they used for development.  It was faster than real -8 and supported timesharing to boot.

  I wonder if this is the source of the original poster's memory?  Can anybody confirm or deny this rumor?

Bob