[Simh] hp alternatives

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Mar 19 19:48:00 EDT 2020

Here is a pointer to a number of different basics.
https://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml
It has been a while, but accept for the issue that Kevin mentioned of
lacking the VMS (or TOPS) system services, I have used a couple of these
run some old Vax/PDP-10/RSTS DEC Basic codes.   Vintage and Bywater were
the two that I remember I had to the most success in understanding files
from DEC versions.   I had some programs (games) from a Dad that before he
died I got running on his Mac so he could play them/mess around a little.
 He had dementia at the time but for some reason, he could remember his
running (and teaching) Basic which he learned in the late 50s/early 60s.
He had a hard time with the GUI and I would explain it.   So I got a couple
do them running at the time, and it was good enough for that task.  But
....  I have not messed with any of that in 5+ years.

The one thing from my todo list of that time, which I started but never
completed was trying to get a ASR-33 emulator running for him.   I still
want that for simh reasons (like my PiDP-8 and PiDP-11).