[Simh] HPE has started emailing the final hobbyist licenses

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Thu Mar 12 23:10:31 EDT 2020

On 3/12/2020 8:11 AM, Gary Lee Phillips wrote:
> Yes, just received mine from Hari. And yes, the key ends in 301 and does not contain the hobbyist number.
>
> I'm curious about the possibility of backing down to VMS 5.0 or 4.4 as a long-term solution. Are there installation files or ISO available somewhere? I started with VMS back in the 80s using 4.4 on a VAX 8200 and a MicroVAX II. It seems to me that the system was already pretty serviceable, aside from the need for third party extensions to get TCP/IP in place of DECNet.

Andy Hoffman did some work producing workable VAX/VMS V4.0, 4.4, 4.6 and 4.7 images.  They are/were available here:

V4.7 ==> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipk28nb82dw0w1n/VAXVMS047A%20copy.zip?dl=0>

V4.6 ==> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/oba932mlxgfs38p/VAXVMS046.zip?dl=0>

V4.4 ==> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mkj08lfu0x7som/VAXVMS044.zip?dl=0>

V4.0 ==> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/iaf8b24qcrsz7mk/VAXVMS040.zip?dl=0>

> What is the earliest version of VMS available for the Alpha? Anyone know?

OpenVMS AXP V1.0  I thought there was a copy available at VAXhaven <https://vaxhaven.com/CD_Image_Archive> but I was mistaken.  The next best thing though is OpenVMS AXP V6.1 and OpenVMS Alpha V6.2 (Yes, the nomenclature did change and they skipped from V1 to V6 for Alpha/AXP to match OpenVMS VAX).

I seem to recall having seen an OpenVMS AXP V1.0 CD being on Ebay at some point but I never tried for a copy.

> Gary, K9NZI

John H. Reinhardt