[Simh] vde networking

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 13:48:42 EDT 2020

I'm trying to use vde on mac. I built it from source and built simh to
include vde support. When I follow simh's 0readme-ethernet.txt:

sudo vde_switch -s /tmp/switch1 -tap tap0 -m 666
sudo ifconfig tap0 192.168.6.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

there are no complaints, and when I run the simulator:

sim> attach xq vde:/tmp/switch1  #simulator uses IP address 192.168.6.2

again, no complaints, but then, in 211bsd, I don't get ping replies from
anything other than the ip assigned to the guest in 211bsd.

This isn't unexpected (nothing other than success would surprise me at
this point), but it does raise several questions (maybe you're shocked):

1. in the example above, is 192.168.6.1 referring to any exisitng ip
address in the real network, e.g. the host's ip address?
2. is 192.168.6.2 automatically assigned to the simulator?
3. in the virtual guest (211bsd) what does the default gateway need to
refer to?
4. in the guest, what does the broadcast address need to refer to?
5. in the guest, what does the ip address need to be set to?

In my fictitious networld, here's the host's configuration:

Host - macbook
IP Address 192.168.2.13
Gateway 192.168.2.1
Broadcast 192.168.2.255

All I think I am trying to do is get the guest to ping yahoo.com. My
understanding, once I get the vde thingy going, is that I can configure
the network in 211bsd by modifying:

/etc/hosts (to assign the guest ip address - although why this should
work is a mystery to me, I though this was just for mapping names to
addresses, but apparently in v7, it is more than this...

/etc/netstart to assign hostname, default gateway, and broadcast
/etc/resolv.conf to assign dns servers

My current plan (need some input on values)

sudo vde_switch -s /tmp/switch1 -tap tap0 -m 666
sudo ifconfig tap0 <<SOMEIP>> netmask 255.255.255.0 up

in /etc/hosts
<<ANOTHERIP>>    sparky sparky.home

in /etc/netstart
hostname=sparky
netmask=255.255.255.0
broadcast=<<YETANOTHERIP>>
default=<<MAYBESOMEIP>>

and in /etc/resolv.conf
domain home.local
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

So, what goes in SOMEIP (dunno what to call this), ANOTHERIP (the guests
IP), YETANOTHERIP (broadcast), and MAYBESOMEIP (the gateway)?

Thanks,

Will

--

GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF