[Simh] pdp11 - console input with high bit set

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:22:52 EDT 2020

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 3:16 PM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
> Anyway, I think the 'right' answer for simh is to ask the user to use a serial
> emulation program that can generate any of: 8-bit no parity, 7-bit no parity,
> or 7-bits of data plus an 8th parity bit with any of the 4 parity options:  odd,
> even, mark (aways 1) or space (always 0).   Seems to me, simh should
> bring 8 bits into the simulated serial port and let the SW running on the
> system decide what it's going to do with it.

About 15 years ago, I encountered a terminal emulation problem running
Emacs on TOPS-20 on klh10 (which I needed to edit network
configuration files).  In the end, I connected a real DEC terminal via
hardware serial port, set the port up with getty, logged into Linux
over the terminal, then ran simh there.  Emacs ran perfectly on the
real terminal.

This is not a good solution for Windows, but it works great for UNIX
and UNIX-like OSes that let you log in from somewhere other than the
keyboard and screen.

-ethan