[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 198, Issue 16

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:26:30 EDT 2020

The Teradata database-engine racks had large arrays of disks and high
densities of CPU's. Not sole 11/84's.

If you had a standalone short rack with a 11/84, I think that was used as
front-end communications, RJE-style, to the IBM mainframe it attached to. I
recall many vendors put a DEC bisync card in a Unibus 11/44 or 11/84
chassis and effectively emulated RJE. This may have been the Teradata
"IFP", but it could also have been some other third-party bolt-on not
directly sold by Teradata related to other RJE stuff in the shop.

If I had to guess based on my experience: at least half of all 11/44's and
11/84's sold were equipped with bisync cards and used in a variety RJE
front-ends.

Tim N3QE