[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 198, Issue 16

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jul 10 10:20:05 EDT 2020

On 2020-07-10 14:19, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Jul 9, 2020, at 10:40 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

>>> AND the PDP-11/74 CIS option, I might add. Fully implemented, never sold.
>>
>> Not to mention that the 11/74 in itself was fully implemented, but never sold... Not even the 11/70MP...
>
> Were there actually two prototypes called 11/74?  I know the MP machine, which the RSX-11 development team owned.  And in Merrimack (home of RSTS and some of the compiler teams) there was an 11/74 with CIS, for COBOL.  But that one wasn't an MP machine.  Perhaps a coincidence, I don't have a real memory either way.

Well, yes and no...

The PDP-11/70MP is a modified KB11-C. In the end it's really just a
modified 11/70. There are changes to the microcode, and if I remember, a
couple of boards were changed. (See
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/1174/EK-70MP-TM_PRE_1170mp_Prelim_Technical_Manual_1977.pdf).

The PDP-11/74 is the KB11-E. This was a more major redesign, which then
allowed for the addition of CIS. (See
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/1174/Prelim_KB11-E_Diffs_Aug78.pdf).

But depending on what documentation you read, they might both be called
11/74.

   Johnny