[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 198, Issue 16

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Thu Jul 9 21:25:01 EDT 2020

Yes, the PDP11 Architecture Handbook was a post-facto effort. The J11
was finished; DEC did not intend to do another PDP11 processor. (I wrote
a spec for one, primarily as an exercise in trying to do a different
microcode structure than the PLA/ROM of the LSI11/F11/J11, but I lost
it.) The only formal part of the PDP11 architecture was the Commercial
Instruction Set extension, DEC STD 168, which was only implemented by
the F11 and the 11/44.

Variances in the PDP11 architecture were the driving force behind the
precision of the VAX architecture effort; and the problems in how
floating point was implemented were the driving force behind Mary
Payne's relentless efforts to make VAX floating point "good to the last
bit," as she put it.

/Bob