[Simh] FW: MAME and simh

mark at wickensonline.co.uk mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 12:27:59 EDT 2020

Just as a curveball, although many on this list will know of its' existence, I believe the circa 1995 terminal emulator vtstar for windows used the VT320 ROM and emulated the hardware. Would be interesting if anyone can definitely answer that question. Certainly it uses windows fonts rather than direct rendering, so if there is emulation via ROM methods it doesn’t extend to display rendering.

My classic test these days is to try VAX APL for any VT220/VT320 terminal emulators and see how well they cope with soft-font downloads. Even the emulators that say they support soft fonts tend to do a pretty poor job. Once-upon-a-time I did write a java based terminal emulator that would use the original fonts, but rapidly came to the conclusion that even a control-code level emulation such as xterm implements is a nasty nasty beast. Stepped slowly away from that one…

vtstar still runs - more or less - on modern Windows: