[Simh] Request for assistance getting info from SImH Network

Phil J FIsher phil.fisher at peejayeff.co.uk
Wed Jul 1 05:49:04 EDT 2020

Good Day to all

I have some issues with FTP traffic from a SimH on Windows 10 running RSX to
another RSX remote system.
The issue seems to be that UPLOADS from the guest system to a remote host
are not working.

To clarify the issue between host and guest I want to check up on the
traffic being sent and received and ran Wireshark to do this.  I have some
traces showing reasonable traffic until some ACKs come back and maybe are
not picked up by RSX so may not have been received or may not be being
processed correctly.  So at this point it is possible there is a BQTCP issue
OR a SimH issue OR my host networking issue.  This request is to help
clarify the SimH information.

What I am asking about is how to get information out from SimH about what it
is seeing as network traffic preferably at a IP or TCP packet level.  I can
then marry that up with what I can see via Wireshark.  I have looked in the
Ethernet documents but was left a little confused.  Once I can marry up the
information it will then be clear I hope where my issue is and I can then
concentrate on that.

My setup is as follows and includes the XU adapter setup.  For clarity, this
setup connects out and downloads fine, it is only when uploading that I see
this issue.  It also behaves correctly when from the Win 10 host a telnet
connection is made to the RSX system over NAT port 2323 as do many other IP
related things.

<CONFIG>
; SIMH PDP-11 initialization
; For RSX11M-PLUS
; V2 for FULL SYSGEN using RP06 disks

; record a copy of console output, send debug info to simh's stderr
SET CONSOLE LOG=./console.log
SET CONSOLE DEBUG=/dev/null
echo ======================================================================

; configure the CPU  ; (default is 11/73 w/256KB MEM, running unthrottled)
SET CPU 11/70, 2M
; throttle not needed because idle detect works with RSX-11M
SET CPU IDLE
;SET THROTTLE 500K

; Configure devices
; disable default devices we don't want/need
SET CR  DISABLE
SET HK  DISABLE
SET RQ  DISABLE
SET RX  DISABLE
SET TM  DISABLE
SET TQ  DISABLE
SET XQ  DISABLE

; Massbus RP06's for system and spare disks (up to 8 drives)...
; Using this will DISABLE all autoconfig stuff (for any explicit assignment
; not just RHA.  If you have to do this you need to set config for ALL
devices.
; SET RHA VECTOR=254
SHOW RHA
SET RP  ENABLE
SET RP0 RP06, WRITEENABLED
SET RP1 RP06, WRITEENABLED
SET RP2 RP06, WRITEENABLED
SET RP3 RP06, WRITEENABLED
;SET RP2 DISABLE
;SET RP3 DISABLE
SET RP4 DISABLE
SET RP5 DISABLE
SET RP6 DISABLE
SET RP7 DISABLE

ATTACH RP0 ./rsx11mp_sysdisk.rp06
ATTACH RP1 ./systemdisk2.rp06
; 9-track Massbus magtapes (2 drives)...

;SET RHB ENABLE

; SET TU  ENABLE
; SET TU  TM03
; SET TU0 TU77
; SET TU1 TU77
; SET TU2 DISABLE
; SET TU3 DISABLE
; SET TU4 DISABLE
; SET TU5 DISABLE
; SET TU6 DISABLE
; SET TU7 DISABLE

; For PREGENNEDSYS RL02 only MS, MU devices recognised
SET TQ ENABLE
SET TQ TU81
SET TQ AUTOCONFIGURE

; RL01 for DECNET media
SET RL  ENABLE
SET RL0 ENABLE, RL02, WRITEENABLED
;ATTACH RL0 rsx11mp46-rl02pg.dsk
SET RL1 ENABLE, RL02, WRITEENABLED
SET RL2 ENABLE, RL02, LOCKED
SET RL3 ENABLE, RL02, LOCKED

; RK05 data disks (4 drives)...
SET RK ENABLE
SET RK0 WRITEENABLED
SET RK1 WRITEENABLED
SET RK2 WRITEENABLED
SET RK3 WRITEENABLED
SET RK4 DISABLED
SET RK5 DISABLED
SET RK6 DISABLED
SET RK7 DISABLED

ATTACH LPT ./lp11.out

; DZ11 (8 interactive user ports)...
SET DZ ENABLE
SET DZ LINES=8
ATTACH DZ  10001

; Enable DELUA Ethernet card and attach
set XU enable
set XU autoconfigure
attach XU nat:DHCP=10.0.2.128,tcp=2323:10.0.2.128:23,tcp=2121:10.0.2.128:21

; Separate the simulated PDP11 Console from the Simh command window
SET CONSOLE TELNET=10000
;

; Show device information as required for SYSGEN
SHOW CPU
SHOW RHA
SHOW RHB
SHOW TU
SHOW RP
SHOW RL
SHOW RK
echo Paper Tape (High Speed Reader and Punch)...
SHOW PTR
SHOW PTP

echo LP11-S Line Printer...
SHOW LPT
echo Console DL11(-A?) serial port
SHOW TTI
SHOW TTO
echo DZ11 terminal multiplexer
SHOW DZ
echo KW11-L Line Clock...
SHOW CLK
echo Ethernet...
SHOW XU

ECHO ******************************************************
ECHO *  Enter a BOOT command to start the simulator:      *
ECHO *    BOOT RP0  ; boots from the RP06 media           *
ECHO *    BOOT TQ0  ; boots from the tape (bootable tape) *
ECHO *                                                    *
ECHO * NOTE:                                              *
ECHO *   Ctl-E at this terminal interrupts the simulator  *
ECHO ******************************************************

</CONFIG>
NOTE:  Host is Win 10 Pro running up to date.  The SimH version is from a
GIT Win recent pre-build binary.

PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Current
    Simulator Framework Capabilities:
        32b data
        32b addresses
        Threaded Ethernet Packet transports:PCAP:NAT:UDP
        Idle/Throttling support is available
        Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) support
        RAW disk and CD/DVD ROM support
        Asynchronous I/O support (Lock free asynchronous event queue)
        Asynchronous Clock support
        FrontPanel API Version 12
    Host Platform:
        Compiler: Microsoft Visual C++ 15.00.30729.01
        Simulator Compiled as C arch: x86 (Release Build) on Mar 10 2020 at
00:42:02
        Build Tool: simh-Visual-Studio-Project
        Memory Access: Little Endian
        Memory Pointer Size: 32 bits
        Large File (>2GB) support
        SDL Video support: SDL Version 2.0.10, PNG Version 1.6.37, zlib:
1.2.11
        PCRE RegEx (Version 8.43 2019-02-23) support for EXPECT commands
        OS clock resolution: 1ms
        Time taken by msleep(1): 1ms
        Ethernet packet info: Unsupported - Npcap version 0.9991, based on
libpcap version 1.9.1
        Time taken by msleep(1): 1ms
        OS: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.900]
        Architecture: x86 on AMD64, Processors: 4
        Processor Id: Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel,
Level: 6, Revision: 8e09
        git commit id: c30c88c2
        git commit time: 2020-03-10T00:18:19-07:00

If anyone wants to see the Wireshark traces that may be supplied on a
personal basis rather than via this group email.

Thanks for your attention,
Phil

Phil J Fisher         phil.fisher at peejayeff.co.uk
Mobile:   +44 7984 781 929 (please leave message if busy or N/A)
Director, PeeJayEff Services Ltd
IT Consultancy and Technical Training in UNIXes/Linux
http://www.peejayeff.co.uk/

Email and any attachments sent are scanned by McAfee
Anti-Virus but integrity cannot be guaranteed.