[Simh] MIT MTC Docs

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Wed Jan 1 11:24:20 EST 2020

There may be MTC paper tapes in the CHM archives. It seems they used a different paper tape format than the '556' used
for Whirlwind. We also have some MTC blueprints and we have the MTC mainframe in the collection (I'll have to dig up the
catalog number when I'm back in the office tomorrow). MTC wasn't as well documented as WW. MTC didn't have all of the
weird peripherals that were added to WW during the 50s

I've been trying to collect all of the on-line documentation that I can find onto bitsavers. From my first post,
you can see that we're in the middle of recovering all of the data from the WW magnetic tapes. The intent is to
try to get the Comprehensive System running again.

WW went through a couple of rebuilds, 1953/4 was the big one where they added the core memory and a lot of I/O
devices.

1954-57 were the main years where it was used for academic computing. It was taken over full-time by Lincoln after
the IBM 704 came on line in 1957

The big thing to remember about WW was that it was a batch machine for non-military use. It didn't even have
flexowriter input until Doug Ross' work in 1956.