[Simh] New HP simulator releases

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Thu Feb 20 15:06:35 EST 2020

Release 29 of the HP 2100 simulator and Release 8 of the HP 3000 simulator
are now available at a new location:

  http://simh.trailing-edge.com/hp/

Descriptions of the major changes for the releases are listed on the home
page above.  In addition, several bugs were fixed in each simulator.

The simulators have been retargeted to Bob Supnik's "SIMH Classic" version
3.11 and its successors, which will be used for all future releases.  This
does not affect machine execution, i.e., once a RUN or GO command is given,
but it does have consequences for user-written command files, as SCP 3.x
does not implement all of the new-for-SCP-4.0 commands.  Please read the
"Reporting Bugs in the Simulator" and "4.x to 3.x SCP Transition" sections
of the release notes and the "SIMH Users' Guide Supplement" document that
accompany the release for details on the changes involved.

In addition to the simulators, new releases of the software kits for the
2100 and 3000 simulators are also provided at the above site.

I regret the disruption that the retargeting will cause for those who make
extensive use of SIMH command files, but I believe the result will allow me
to support the simulators more easily and therefore allow me to devote a
larger fraction of my time to enhancements.

                                      -- Dave