[Simh] Card Readers on PDP-11's

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Thu Feb 13 13:16:25 EST 2020

Yes, and until ~ the 1442, the IBM readers used a row of metal brushes
to read the cards (they'd go through the holes and contact a metal plate
on the bottom).  All the early IBM gear was mechanically interesting - I
suppose from their origins.  Springs, brushes, cams, levers, solenoids,
microswitches, belts and motors!  A mechanical engineering degree was
probably more helpful than an EE (or later CS)...

The 1442 (ish) introduced optical (incandescent lamp + photocell)
readers; Documation also was optical.  IIRC, it also had a taller path,
so was more tolerant of warpage/curled edges.  Toward the end, the light
source became LEDs.

Anything that avoided contact with the cards helped reliability.  The
challenge for the designers was to have tolerances large enough to avoid
jams, but small enough to prevent picking more than one card, or
allowing skew in transit.

The off-line card sorters and reproducing punches (with the wired
plugboards, often used with mark-sense) were also mechanical marvels -
or monsters - depending on which side of the Field Engineers' toolbox
you stood.