[Simh] Various

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Feb 13 13:14:50 EST 2020

> On Feb 13, 2020, at 1:09 PM, Lars Brinkhoff <lars at nocrew.org> wrote:
>
> Paul Koning wrote:
>> At U of Illinois, the computer science department had a PDP-11 used
>> for teaching assembly language programming.
>
> I hope it wasn't the same they attached to Arpanet.

No, the ARPAnet one was a Unix system in the advanced computer center, the building that was originally built to house Illiac-IV.  The one I'm talking about was standalone, a DOS system in the computer science building.

It was pretty weird in that it ran a PDP-11 simulator (on the PDP-11) so students could write something approximating bare-metal software but get some debugging help if things go wrong.

They moved that course to CDC, and I helped write the analogous thing for our Cyber (a Cyber emulator on Cyber).

	paul