[Simh] Various

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Feb 13 11:38:42 EST 2020

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:50 AM Timothe Litt <litt at ieee.org> wrote:

> Among others, DEC OEM'd Documation card readers.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se0F1bLfFKY

Mark - sorry to go a little direct (simh) topic here [this sort of belongs
on Warren's COFF mailing list), but since the Card discussion started here
as I'm kinda curious and will ask it.

Did DEC actually sell that many?   In my years of working around DEC gear
starting in the late 1960s, I think I saw a card read/punch only once on a
PDP-6 IIRC, but it might have been a KA10.   I don't think I ever saw one
on a PDP-8/11 or Vaxen.

I certainly saw and used them on IBM 1401/360 systems, the Univac 1100s and
CDC's.  I have not so fond memories of the IBM 1442, much less a 26 and 29
keypunch (and a couple of great stories too).

That said, when I think of DEC gear, my memories are of paper tape or
either the original DEC-Tape units or a couple of cases the old
cassette tape units DEC had on some of the laboratory PDP 11/05s.