[Simh] SDS Card Reader

kenr kdrhoo at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 01:38:59 EST 2020

Hi Mark,

At SDS/XDS/Xerox  we tried to ignore the 940.  We had our own set of
OSes to work on and promote, so you don't find much 940 software amongst
the remnants of SDS.

I'm trying to recall who made our card reader equipment.  What I do
recall is that they ate cards like a Lower Elbonian accordian factory.

I too looked at the card reader resources and I think I could at least
get something crude to work.

But I have a easier but cruder short term solution.  And I found out
more about the files on the PAL Tapes.

Even though the PAL Catalog says they're absolute card decks, the files
I chose to look at are actually relocatable cards prefaced with a two
card relocating loader.  So my plan is to throw away the card loader and
relocate the remainder into an absolute file and put your 940boot loader
on the front of that.  It was when I got that working that I found that
the files were really relocatable.

The first program I picked is an unecoder so I might be able to dissect
source programs from the PAL tapes.

I'm still not able to get the loader that comes on the front of these
files to complete it's self loading task up to the point where it needs
the card reader.   But I'm sure that problem will be clear eventually
like the other stuff I'v learned so far.

My wife thinks I'm mad.  She hasn't seen me in several weeks.

Ken