[Simh] SDS Card Reader

kenr kdrhoo at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 13:50:34 EST 2020

I'm interested in using the SDS 940 simulator to run programs from the
XDS PAL tapes found on bitsavers.
Most of these programs were loaded onto the PAL library tapes from
punched cards by SDS/XDS in a self loading format for distribution to
customers.  Customers would copy the files from tape onto punched
cards.  The self loading programs assume a card reader, not a paper tape
or mag tape.

The SDS 940 simulator does not have a card reader driver so  I have a
couple of questions.

1. Why isn't there a card driver for the 940?
2. I notice simulators for similar machines also don't have card
drivers,  why is that?
3. Does anyone know of a (maybe unfinished, unofficial) card driver that
I might use?
4.  Where might one find the developer documentation mentioned in the
simh faq?

Anyone care to answer these or offer an opinion on driver development?

Ken