[Simh] Subject: Re: something strange with simulated RK05 drive ?

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Tue Feb 11 21:48:29 EST 2020

To my surprise, format is actually mechanized in the RK11 simulator.
Whether it's mechanized correctly is another story, of course.

There are only two tests for the format bit.

1. If FORMAT is set when GO is set, and the command is anything other
than READ or WRITE, then PGE (programming error)
     is set, and the operation terminates. (See the RKER register
description.)
2. If FORMAT is set during READ, one header word is transferred from
consecutive sectors to fill the buffer.

According to the maintenance course, the header is just the cylinder
address, positioned as in RKDA.

Write + Format is the same as write, except that the header is not
checked for being on the correct cylinder before writing the sector.
Normal writing always rewrites the header word. So a "real" format
program can write a bad drive, with incorrect headers. The simulator can't.

Personally, I've never tried RT-11 FORMAT, and I sort of feel this way
about it:

Patient: "It hurts when I do that!"
Doctor: "Don't do that."

However, if someone has RT11 source code and wants to trace what's going
on, I can dig deeper.

/Bob