[Simh] Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Feb 9 08:38:07 EST 2020

Time for a new release announcement of TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS.

Highlights:

. IP multicasting have been implemented
. TCP stability improvements

Detailed information on things that have been done since the last release:

IP:
. Added IP multicast support, and functions to enable this on UDP sockets.

UDP:
. Added functions for joining and leaving multicast groups on sockets.

TCP:
. Bugfix in TCP. Under some circumstances, TCP will stop receiving data
because of a calculation error on TCP sequence numbers.
. Improvement in TCP. Code accidentally sent unnecessary probes when a
socket is in Close Wait.
. Bugfix in TCP. Any ICMP error received for a socket caused the TCP
connection to close down. This should not happen for ICMP source quench
or ICMP timeout messages.
. Correct MSS computation and setup based on interface MTU.

IFCONFIG:
. Added ability to change MTU of interface in IFCONFIG.

FTPD:
. Bugfix in FTPD. Long home directory names caused FTPD to fail.

Some additional notes:

Some people might wonder why the multicast changes have been introduced,
but no other changes related to it. I wanted to get this change out now
in order to allow people the possibility to play with it, if anyone is
interested. For my own part, I next plan to look at mDNS, to allow RSX
to live in home networks without a proper DNS server, but still be
visible to other systems. mDNS depends on multicast groups.

In addition, the TCP corrections finally fixed some long standing
problems that I have been observing that have been very rare, but very
annoying to me. BQTCP is now behaving very well on the network, and I do
not actually have any known issues (at this time) that that are nagging
me. I hope this release will see a further reduction on work on
protocols like IP, TCP and UDP, and future work will be even more
focused on higher level protocols.

As usual, the distribution is available from:
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.dsk
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.tap
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/pdp11/rsx/tcpip/tcpip.dsk

The documentation is also available through ftp on Mim, or also at
http://mim.update.uu.se/tcpipdoc

I hope people find this update useful.

	Johnny