[Simh] Possible Issue with Comms Device Network Connection

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 02:05:43 EDT 2020

Sorry if the subject seems vague, I'm not sure how best to word it.

Essentially, I've noticed problems with certain forms of connection
"statement" that have the "hostname:port" formation; tested with the
KS10, PDP-11, VAX-11/750, and VAX-11/730 simulators (as my most used
simulators are the DEC machines) the following I've tried do not work:
* Multiplexer "Connect=host:port" Statements
* DMC11/DMR11/DUP11/DPV11/KMC11 "Peer=host:port" Statements

For the multiplexers, attempting an "attach dz
line=1,7000,connect=concordat:7500" (for example, with "concordat"
being the hostname of my Debian laptop) immediately returns with:
Invalid destination: concordat:7500

For the DMC et al. the "set dmc0 peer=localhost:8500" is accepted,
however attempting to connect the specific line (e.g. attach dmc0
8000") will return:
Invalid destination: LOCALHOST:8500

I'm unsure if this is an actual issue, or if this is user error on my
part. My thoughts are leaning toward an issue, as this error is
happening in three separate builds (natively on Windows 10, on a
Windows 7 virtual machine, natively under Debian 9.12) under two build
environments (Microsoft Visual Studio 10, gcc); the "show version" of
the simulator closest at hand (my Debian laptop on which I am writing
this e-mail) outputs:
sim> show ver
PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Current
    Simulator Framework Capabilities:
        32b data
        32b addresses
        Threaded Ethernet Packet transports:PCAP:TAP:VDE:NAT:UDP
        Idle/Throttling support is available
        Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) support
        RAW disk and CD/DVD ROM support
        Asynchronous I/O support (Lock free asynchronous event queue)
        Asynchronous Clock support
        FrontPanel API Version 12
    Host Platform:
        Compiler: GCC 6.3.0 20170516
        Simulator Compiled as C arch: x64 (Release Build) on Apr  9
2020 at 23:39:49
        Build Tool: simh-makefile
        Memory Access: Little Endian
        Memory Pointer Size: 64 bits
        Large File (>2GB) support
        SDL Video support: SDL Version 2.0.5, PNG Version 1.6.28, zlib: 1.2.8
        PCRE RegEx (Version 8.39 2016-06-14) support for EXPECT commands
        OS clock resolution: 1ms
        Time taken by msleep(1): 1ms
        Ethernet packet info: libpcap version 1.8.1
        OS: Linux concordat 4.9.0-12-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.210-1
(2020-01-20) x86_64 GNU/Linux
        git commit id: f9883668
        git commit time: 2020-04-04T09:49:15-0700

Testing with the March 10th pre-built executables for Windows does not
have the problem.

Best regards,
Christian
--