[Simh] tty magic(?) for talking to bootloaders?

Tom Perrine tom.perrine at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 19:03:07 EDT 2019

Hi all,

So far I've got Multics, V7 and BSD4 running on SIMH in Google Cloud
Platform (GCP). I'm packaging some of these up into more turnkey images and
scripts so that more people can easily play with these Grand Olde Operating
Systemes.

My end goal is a script that can be run on your local computer that creates
the cloud instance, installs and upgrades the OS, compiles SIMH for the
target HW, and boots the guest OS, all without any needed input. I've got
everything EXCEPT how to kick the OS boot in the OS bootloader(s).

My problem is that I probably haven't spent enough time with the docs to
figure out how to feed scripts "past" SIMH and into the bootloaders.

I'd also love to be able to inject commands into the SIMH process through
the API, but that's a different story.

For example, the PDP-11 V6 boot looks like this:

test-pdp11:~$ !80simh-master/BIN/pdp11 dboot.ini PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0
Current git commit id: d40268d1Disabling XQ@
Now how do I get scripted input into the simulator so that I can give the
bootloader the "unix" filename at the @ prompt? I have the same problem
with the Multics bootloader, too.
Clearly I'm not being smart this week.
Ideas?