[Simh] OpenVMS, SIMH and outbound NAT

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Tue Oct 29 00:12:34 EDT 2019

Hi Wes,

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 8:14 PM, Wes Fisher wrote:
> First, I love SIMH. I've been having so much fun running OpenVMS on a my
> raspberry pi w. But, since the Raspi's wlan adapter can't be bridged, I've had to
> use the NAT method. However, for some reason, my VMS system can't contact
> the internet for some reason. I can telnet/ftp in with no problem, but the VAX
> can't talk out. I've made sure net.ipv4.ip_forward is set to one, and there are
> no strange firewall rules. I'm not sure how to fix this.

Outbound NAT traffic should be easy.  Easy means no specific configuration.

So in order to understand what is going on, please answer:

1) What does your simh configuration look like?
2) What IP is the VMS machine configured with?
3) How is the VMS machine resolving names? (Try outgoing connections with IP addresses first).
4) What IP address is on the host system raspi's wlan interface?

- Mark