[Simh] Getting started with RSTS - unknown password

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Thu Oct 10 15:24:30 EDT 2019

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Oct 9, 2019, at 4:38 PM, Wilm Boerhout <wilm at boerhout.nl> wrote:
>>
>> I believe the 1,2 password is ?system? on a virgin system.
>
> No, it's supplied during system build.  At least since V4 -- I think V3 and earlier may have had fixed default passwords.
>
> 	paul

Yes, a nasty little program in version 4 when you start you picked
the option refresh and put in the 1,1 and 1,2 passwords.  It also
just happens to remove everything from the disk except the [0,1]
files (which you can do nothing with except view the directory).

OPTION: REFRESH
SURE: YES
DD-MON-YY? 01-JAN-72
HH:MM? 12:01
CRASH.SYS(Y OR N), OVER.SYS(0), ERRM.SYS(E) FILES WANTED? N
PACK SERIAL ID, CLUSTER SIZE? RSTS,1
MANAGER PASSWORD, MFD CLUSTER? SECRET,1
LIBRARY PASSWORD, UFD CLUSTER? SYSLIB,1
BAD BLOCK FILE? IGNORE

RSTS V4A-12 RSTS.ORG

OPTION?

Now you better have your paper tape CUSP programs handy as you are
going to have to reload everything all over again.

Brett