[Simh] Semi-OT: Terminal Recommendations for use with SIMH

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 18:06:54 EDT 2019

I use a combination of Windows and Linux. I find xterm to have excellent
emulation characteristics. On windows I use Putty and Cygwin terminals.

Now for the less ordinary: In order to use my LK450 keyboard (which only
works properly when plugged into a PS/2 port direct, not via a USB dongle)
I use an older copy of Hummingbird Exceed (bought off eBay as new-in-box a
few years ago) on an old HP thin client terminal running Windows XP. This
combination allows all the keys to be mapped correctly. I've always hated
the fact that most combinations of DEC keyboards and PC computers left at
least one or two keys incorrectly mapped. Having all keys mapped is a must
when using ALL-IN-1 or WPS/PLUS.

In the past I've also used a passive adapter and the Linux LK201/LK401
keyboard driver. The adapter converts the keyboard connector into an RS/232
feed and provides 9v power for the keyboard. This should still work as the
driver is still a module in the linux kernel. I found the mapping mostly
worked although some of the key combinations didn't map by default from the
keyboard interface layer to useful X keycodes.

I have a USB LK461 (I think that's the number) but I've not tried to get
all the keys working. It works as a standard PC keyboard without any issue.

Regards, Mark.