[Simh] visual studio code support?

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Tue May 14 15:34:11 EDT 2019

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 12:21 PM, Seth Morabito wrote:
> Eric Smith writes:
>
> > I’ve seen it, but I don’t have the blood pressure for working under
> > Windows.
> >
> > I’m usually working with C or Python and I use vi for everything ..
> > vim, actually, which has syntax highlighting, auto-completion
> > (completion suggestions), the works.
> >
> > Eric kd5uwl
> >
> >> On May 11, 2019, at 7:26 PM, Timothy Stark <fsword007 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> Does anyone try visual studio code with simh code for editing and
> >> compiling?  I am new to Visual Studio Code and now learning how to
> >> use it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Tim
>
> Oddly, I am missing the original message that Eric replied to, so I don't know if
> there's more context or not. Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, but:
>
> There is excellent Visual Studio support for all the simlators. Mark works hard
> to ensure that they all build cleanly on Windows with settings that target
> Windows XP and higher. He can speak more to the details of the current
> requirements, I'm sure.
>
> I'm not a regular Windows user, but I have successfully used Visual Studio
> Community 2017 to compile several of the simulators.
>
> If you're interested in looking at the code or playing around with it, and you're
> using Windows, I definitely encourage you to give it a try.

The original question (and the subject line) is specifically asking about "Visual Studio Code".  This is an IDE from Microsoft that runs on most modern platforms (OSX, Linux, and Windows).  It is the editor GUI interface to locally provided compile and execution tool chain.  Although the name is similar, and it is an IDE, it is functionally unrelated to the Windows based Visual Studio support provided with simh.

- Mark