[Simh] The Interconnect Task Force

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Jun 25 20:37:02 EDT 2019

> On Jun 25, 2019, at 7:42 PM, Bob Supnik <bob at supnik.org> wrote:
>
> The RC25 (code named Aztec) got started as I was leaving Storage Engineering. ...
>
> The RC25 was pretty much a disaster, technically and financially, and the end of the line for DEC's removable disk program.

It was quite ugly, because you had two drives on one spindle.  RSTS was told to support an RC25-only config, apparently for use in Royal Navy submarines (space constrained, obviously).  The trouble is that removing the removable pack meant spinning down the system unit (boot drive).  RSTS was never designed for that and would get very unhappy.  We hacked this by basically putting a system freeze feature in that would let you freeze everything while the drive was off.

	paul