[Simh] Write sector headers to disk

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Tue Jun 25 17:34:26 EDT 2019

> 3. Store header words out of band somehow.  Last in the image file?
> In another file?

Perhaps the same name as the disk file with a . (dot) in front for the header words.  Ala Mac resource forks or NTFS alternate data streams.  Since Unix has no structure to its files, so you have to use the file system hierarchy to represent that.  I dislike hidden files in general, but I doubt much in SIMH would suffer if the .header file were to get left behind.  It seems pretty ephemeral, except perhaps during a sequence of diagnostics.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov