[Simh] Write sector headers to disk

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jun 25 16:20:13 EDT 2019

On 2019-06-25 13:07, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> David Brownlee wrote:
>> How about storing them only in memory - still an incomplete
>> implementation, but should be enough to pass the SALV tests...
>
> I should clarify that to pass the tests, only the sector data needs to
> be written.  Rather than ignored as now.
>
> SALV *also* uses the two key fields in the header words.  Those are not
> part of the verification phase.  I'm not yet sure to what extent the key
> fields are necessary or not.

On a real disk, they are vital. The information there is used by the
hardware to verify that the heads are on the right tracks, and the
rotation is at the right sector before a transfer starts.

But for a simulation, they are pretty much irrelevant. (Unless you want
to start trying to emulate the physics and mechanical stuff of a disk
drive.)

   Johnny