[Simh] VAX emulator slow to configure extra disks

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jun 23 09:52:45 EDT 2019

I can't remember having any such issues, but then again I also can't
remember if I ever tried it with VAX. With PDP-11 it works without any
issues.

This is, though, another slight silliness in simh. The limit to 4 disks
per controller is very artificial. The UDA50, KDA50, and maybe some
other controllers only have four actual, physical ports, which limited
them to only have four disks per controller. However, MSCP itself do not
have such a limitation, and common SCSI controllers for these machines
which use MSCP allows more than four disks on a controller, and most
software (at least RSX and VMS) also do not limit themselves to only
configure max four disks on a controller. I wish simh didn't put such
arbitrary limitations in. simh also decides on unit numbers by itself,
which could also have been nice to be able to choose.

   Johnny