[Simh] EXT :Re: Issue #731 - simh PDP11 RSX11M-PLUS Unibus 11/94 system with 2 DEUNA ethernet device XUB not working

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Mon Jul 29 17:45:51 EDT 2019

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 2:39 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Interesting. But why would everything fail just because you set the CSR
> address manually? This is a mystery to me. As far as I can think, it should still
> work just fine.
>
> What else is simh doing, that happens differently depending on if it
> autoconfigures things or not? I mean, after all, in the real world, you
> *always* had to set the CSR addresses of all controllers manually.
> You could try and follow the rules laid out by DEC for enabling OSes to auto
> detect what hardware you had, but that was basically the main use for it, and if
> you configured the software yourself, then that reason also went out the
> window.
>
> And finally, the actual address selected by the OP, was the correct one
> according to the DEC configuration rules for the floating address space.
> So unless simh does something wrong, it should end up with the same
> address, based on the same configuration.
>
> Curious to get some more details on this problem and solution... :-)

When folks "start" to mess with manually setting any Unibus/Qbus device ADDRESS and/or VECTOR, then autoconfigure is disabled from that point on and the user is obliged to set BOTH the ADDRESS and VECTOR for all devices which are subsequently enabled AND for previously enabled devices if their ADDRESS (or VECTOR) would normally have changed when additional devices are enabled.

The OP set the device address but not the vector.

The OP removed the manual setting of the address and relied on autoconfigure and everything works as expected.

- Mark