[Simh] EXT : VAXstation 4000 Model 60

Hittner, David T [US] (MS) david.hittner at ngc.com
Fri Jul 12 14:16:51 EDT 2019

>Why so many self-test errors?

Because the simulator is relatively new, and getting it running an OS was more important than passing all of the diagnostics. It can be quite difficult to pass hardware diagnostics, particularly since some hardware diagnostics are timing dependent, which is tough to get right in a simulation. Many (if not most) of the simulators cannot fully pass all OEM diagnostics, but they work well enough to run the Operating Systems correctly. See the recent thread about simulating disk formatting behavior, and Bob Supnik's multiple papers about getting the hardware details right on the SIMH web site.

Usually simulators will be altered over time to be able pass more diagnostics, as people help refine the simulation.

> I assume the "NUMBYTES" value for DKA300 is an artifact of the SHOW DEV command not coping with such a large disk.

Many of VAX line have difficulty in dealing with SCSI disks of greater than 1.07 GB and 8GB due to the number of bits allowed for the LBN in the various smaller SCSI command blocks of the time. If the disk seems to be undersized, you are probably experiencing the notorious "disk wrap" that occurred when you attach a disk larger than what the SCSI commands can accommodate and map. Try reducing the size of your user-sized disk until you see the correct value recognized.

> Is there anything I can do to speed up the self-test (i.e. a way to curtail it)?  VMS itself seems to boot OK.

You can always alter the boot ROM to skip the tests. The boot ROM tests take a specific length of time, and the simulator is faithfully running the tests, using the simulated wait times to allow the simulated devices time to respond.

David