[Simh] Which PDP-11 to choose

Seth J. Morabito web at loomcom.com
Mon Jul 1 17:09:56 EDT 2019

Lars Brinkhoff writes:

> Bob Supnik wrote:
>> The J-11 based simulators (11/73 and up) are the only ones that were
>> verified against actual machine microcode.
>
> Speaking of which.  Someone claimed SIMH wouldn't be well suited for a
> microcode level simulation.  Is there any truth to this?  If so why?

An interesting question! It's true that none of the simulators currently
do microcode simulation, but I don't see why they couldn't. Certain
assumptions about clock calibration may be in question, but I'm not
sure. Even if they were, I think it's a surmountable problem and not
fundamentally impossible given SIMH's architecture.

-Seth
--
  Seth Morabito
  Poulsbo, WA, USA