[Simh] 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access)

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 17:51:50 EST 2019

The spot-checks I've done show the DECTape to be identical in content and
spacing to the tapes I have containing DECUS RSTS-11-013 and RSTS-11-014.

As to which came first, the book or the tape, look at this comment in
GAMES.BAS from the tape:

100 &#1%:&#1%,"     CATALOG OF GAMES AND RECREATIONS ON RSTS":&#1%
110 &#1%,"FOR MAXIMUM ENJOYMENT OF THESE GAMES, YOU SHOULD HAVE A"
120 &#1%,"COPY OF THE BOOK, '101 BASIC COMPUTER GAMES' BY DAVID AHL.":&#1%

As to comments that seem to have shrunk, look at for example the shrinkage
of the original comment block from Mayfield's 1972 HP program library
version of STAR TREK, to the 1973 RSTS SPACWR version in the Ahl
collection. With most vintage BASIC interpreters there was a runtime
penalty to putting large comment blocks at the start of your program -
maybe the HP 3000 BASIC was a true compiler?

Tim