[Simh] HP3000 Initial Speedsense Bug

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Mon Jan 14 17:09:42 EST 2019

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 12:30, Robert W.Mills wrote:

> Is the workaround for this bug, as applied in mpe-1-reload.sim,
> permanently installed in mpe-reload.7920.disc?

No, the patch is applied in memory only.  The disc and tape images supplied
in the software kit are unaltered, so the bug exists in both.

That said, note that the bug occurs only when both of these conditions are
true:

 1. ATC channel 0 is set for REMOTEACK (the sim default is LOCALACK).

 2. The terminal emulator or terminal connected to channel 0 does not do
    ENQ/ACK handshaking.

Normally, you'd leave the default LOCALACK setting in place unless you're
connecting the simulator via a host serial port to a physical terminal that
needs the handshake to pace the output.  Even then, the bug would occur
only if a non-HP terminal is used as the system console.  The memory patch
is required only in this case, although it does no harm if it's always
installed at system startup.

(I see that the readme is a bit unclear on this point.  I'll improve the
wording for the next release.)

                                      -- Dave