[Simh] Simulating Fortran

dott.piergiorgio pgde69 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:31:37 EST 2019

On 30/12/18 00:51, Will Senn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m looking for a good lead on two things - 1. A fortran environment for learning the language as it existed in the  research unix v6/v7 era (roughly late ‘70’s). 2. A good text/book to guide the way toward building and running fortran programs successfully.
>
> I’m a little lost in the sea of possibilities- v6’s fortran however good that is... v7’s, rt-11’s, etc. <f77, f77, fortran iv, dec fortran, ibm fortran, etc.
>
> My bonus question is, was there a point of time in the late 70’s where a stable situation existed and most folks used system X with FXX? If so what system with which dialect, and is it accessible as a simh environment?

development UNIX for the most part predates Fortran 77, so I guess that
early UNIX fortran was the IV type.

on textbook, there's some .pdf scans around the net, but the majority
are on the 77 type. But on bitsavers there's plenty of pre-77 fortran
manuals, even the very first one, the Backus one for i704...

There's plenty of II/IV/V/77 sources in .pdf scan format in the Internet
Archive, if you want I can give you pointers (isn't easy unearthing
those, one must know where and how to look for those amidst other 500k
(it's in a collection) of .pdf scans...)

HTH, and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.