[Simh] HP3000 Simulator

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Tue Jan 1 23:45:51 EST 2019

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 15:10, Robert W.Mills wrote:

> 1) I have several Store-To-Disc files that the simulator won't access.

How were the files created?  Is the TAPEDIR.std file in SIMH tape format?

The MPE-V/R RESTORE command will restore tapes created with STORE, which
won't store to disc (as far as I know).  If something like TurboSTORE was
used to store to a disc file that was then copied to tape, then RESTORE
won't read it.

You can check the first record of the tape image.  It must contain the
string "STORE/RESTORE LABEL-HP/3000.VII" to be restorable on V/R.

> It just hangs after displaying that the volume has been mounted. The
> only way kill it is by doing a SHUTDOWN.

You could also do one or more "=ABORTIO 7" commands until RESTORE reports
an I/O error.  It should then return to the CI prompt.

> I have included a copy of the console log after my signature.

It looks OK, so I'd guess that the tape image is in the wrong format.

> 2) I am running the simulator on Linux Mint 18.3 and using the GNOME
> Terminal. Even though the .sim script I am using contains a "set console
> DEL=177" the delete key does not work.

Hmmm...what do you expect the delete key to do?  CI uses CTRL+H (the
backspace key) to delete a character and CTRL+X to delete a line.  The
delete key may be sending octal 177 characters, but CI doesn't do anything
with it.

> 3) Is it possible to get an MPE V/E FOS tape image.

Won't help, unfortunately, as the simulator won't run MPE-V/E.  V/E
requires two things that are not present:

 1. An HP-IB I/O implementation, as introduced on the Series 33 and
    continued with later models.

 2. A new set of I/O instructions that are tailored to the new I/O
    structure.

Section 1.1 of the "HP 3000 Simulator UserĀ“s Guide" explains this in more
detail.

> I have 10 of the Interex Contributed Software Library (CSL/3000)
> available but quite a few of the contributions won't work with V/R due
> to system table changes.

Stan Sieler was working on a library to supply some of the missing
intrinsics from V/E on V/R.  You might ask on the 3000 list to see if it
would help in your case.

                                      -- Dave