[Simh] Looking for Update on DG Nova Driver

David or Jan Takle djtakle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 21:56:24 EST 2019

The Nova docs indicate that the Paper Tape Reader (PTR) and Paper Tape
Punch (PTP) devices have a Position register (POS) that can be set so that
the reader and punch can be moved forward or backward.
However, the Nova driver does not seem to have any means for setting POS.

I do not have the skill to modify the driver, and I'm unfamiliar with the
build process.
I'm hoping someone could add this feature to the driver and rebuild the
executable.
My suggestion would be to link the POS register in simH to either the
DIB/DOB or DIC/DOC commands on the Nova.
That would give Nova access to POS.

Thanks for considering this.

Note: the source for the Driver in the simH is ...
/* nova_pt.c: NOVA paper tape read/punch simulator

David Takle
Old Nova systems programmer ( IRIS O.S. )

p.s. My reason for wanting this is that such a PTR/PTP device would provide
directly-addressable flexible variable-length file manipulation on the host
PC, whereas the disk files are all fixed length and the tape files have
pre-defined formats.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>