[Simh] MIT MTC Docs

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Tue Dec 31 19:39:52 EST 2019

I subscribe to an RSS feed for bitsavers, and saw things being added
here:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/lincolnLaboratory/mtc/

Surprised to see there was an older file here.  I never would have
looked for MTC files under Lincoln Labs since, I thought it was
a part of the Whirlwind project (built to test core memory for WW):

Ken Olsen is supposed to have been the MTC designer,
his signature appears in

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/lincolnLaboratory/mtc/M-2134_MTC_Tests_on_Magnetic_Memory_May1953.pdf

A few months ago I had spotted Whirlwind paper tape images on
bitsavers, found one that looked like a binary, and figured out how to
decode it into a 16-bit word, and started on a WWI simulation, but
ran out of steam.

In any case, both WWI and MTC now seem like ripe targets for SimH!

Phil