[Simh] The missing PDPs

Warren Young tangentsoft at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 08:39:06 EDT 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 6:02 AM Pontus Pihlgren <pontus at update.uu.se> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 06:29:40AM +0000, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> > Warren Young wrote:
> > > Find some bit of PDP-5 and/or PDP-12 software that you want to make
> > > run, then modify the current simulator until it does run.
> >
> > What interesting PDP-5 and/or PDP-12 software is there?
>
> For the PDP-12 there is SPACEWAR!

We have that on the PiDP-8/I already:

    https://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/how-to-use-the-pidp-8

You don't have to have the PiDP-8/I software. The software will build on
lots of different host OSes, and it will detect the lack of the front panel
and fall back to a more nearly pure SIMH mode, but with SPACEWAR and a lot
more included:

    https://tangentsoft.com/pidp8i/wiki?name=OS+Compatibility

The software isn't quite as portable as SIMH itself, but you could at least
extract our disk images and SIMH configs.

    https://tangentsoft.com/pidp8i/dir?ci=trunk&name=media/spacewar
    https://tangentsoft.com/pidp8i/dir?ci=trunk&name=boot

What I was really hoping for in asking the question is some old science lab
experiments based on the A/D converters that we could replicate in
kitchen-table science fashion.