[Simh] going back to the VAX console with CTRL P

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Tue Aug 6 19:57:33 EDT 2019

Hi,

>The simulator's console port can be separated from the control activites of
>the simulator when it is connected to a TELNET session with the command:
>
>          sim> SET CONSOLE TELNET=listenportnumber
>
>A telnet session to localhost:listenportnumber will have all characters passed
>without any unexpected interactions affecting operating the simulator.

When I tried this I found that SIMH stopped listening after a few minutes
if no incoming connection was seen.  This seemed to me to make it not very
useful, especially for the situation where SIMH is started automatically
when the host system is rebooted.  Did I miss something in the way this
command is supposed to be configured or used?

In the wider discussion of this topic, I do like Clem's suggestion of
completely separating the emulated console from the SIMH command line.  But
not *too* separate; we would still need to retain the ability for SIMH
scripts/initialisation files to inspect the output of, and inject input to,
the emulated console.

Thanks,

	Jeremy Begg