[Simh] EXT : VAXstation 4000 Model 60

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Tue Aug 6 07:29:34 EDT 2019

Hi,

A few weeks ago I commented that I was setting up a SIMH VAXstation 4000 and
had noticed some failures in the console self-test.  Since then I've had it
running more or less continously and in general it works nicely, but I have
noticed something odd: VMS logs a MEMORY ERROR every minute.

The VMS ERRLOG.SYS entry looks like this:

 ******************************* ENTRY   94828. *******************************
 ERROR SEQUENCE 12105.                           LOGGED ON:        SID 1200000E
 DATE/TIME  6-AUG-2019 15:52:49.10                            SYS_TYPE 04140002
 SYSTEM UPTIME: 0 DAYS 00:11:59
 SCS NODE: EWOK                                                VAX/VMS V7.3

 HARD ERROR   KA46

       PARCNTRL        010000F1
                                       FILTER ENABLE
       MEMCON          7F3F0000
                                       MEMORY CONFIGURATION:
                                       _TOTAL MEMORY = 104 MB
                                       _On Board MEMORY (8MB) - CPU MODULE
                                       _MS44-CA MEMORY SIMM(16MB)BANK 1 FRONT
                                       _MS44-CA MEMORY SIMM(16MB)BANK 1 REAR
                                       _MS44-CA MEMORY SIMM(16MB)BANK 2 FRONT
                                       _MS44-CA MEMORY SIMM(16MB)BANK 2 REAR
                                       _MS44-CA MEMORY SIMM(16MB)BANK 3 FRONT
                                       _MS44-CA MEMORY SIMM(16MB)BANK 3 REAR
       MEMERR          FFFFFFFF
                                       Memory Parity Error
                                       Byte Mask = F(X)
                                       Memory Error Address = 07FFFFFC(X)
                                       Write Wrong Parity Set
                                       Memory Parity Checking Enabled
       PCSTS           00000000
                                       PRIMARY CACHE DISABLED
                                       BACKUP CACHE MISS
       SCCR            00000100
                                       SPECIO: NORMAL IO ADDR

The error details are always the same.

I have not been able to identify the cause of these errors so I'm wondering
how to start looking using SIMH's diagnostic/debugging facilities.  Any tips
would be welcome.

Thanks,

        Jeremy Begg

  |            VSM Software Services Pty. Ltd.              |
  |                 http://www.vsm.com.au/                  |
  | P.O.Box 402, Walkerville, |  E-Mail:  jeremy at vsm.com.au |
  | South Australia 5081      |   Phone:  +61 8 8221 5188   |
  |  A.C.N. 068 409 156       |     FAX:  +61 8 8221 7199   |