[Simh] Proper IPV4 addresses for emails to from the list ?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Apr 24 19:19:45 EDT 2019

Uh... The forward and reverse do match, as far as you can ever expect
them to match. It is quite common that machines are on networks where
the reverse lookup gives a different address, because of the way reverse
lookups work. So the "proper" thing is to start with a reverse lookup,
and then do a forward lookup on that result, which should then match,
and it do for that address.

Now, as far as where mails come from, that can be tricky. Mails can pass
through other MTAs on the way, depending on whatnot, so you cannot
guarantee that it comes from a specific address. Even though it usually do.

And yes, trailing-edge.com is the machine originating the mails from the
list (at least for now).

I would say that it's usually not sensible to try and use iptables or
similar filtering for smtp. Unless you essentially are ok with your mail
setup being somewhat broken.

   Johnny